The Techstart Program
“Techstart” is a non-degree IT-training program aimed to support people with forced migration or migrant backgrounds to find an entry-level position in the field of digital product development.
The Techstart Program for digital product development is co-developed with "CODE University of Applied Sciences" and sponsored by the Andreas Gerl-Stiftung.
Based on CODE’s proven learning concept, we’ve developed a training program that prepares you for an entry-level position in the field of digital product development.
For one year, you will join our program at CODE to deepen and refine your skills in software development, AI & data science, interaction design, or product management. You will complete a project (solo or group) in order to learn how to apply your skills in a meaningful way and contribute to the development of digital products.
We expect you to have at least basic knowledge of the skills required in your field of interest as well as high motivation and commitment. Knowing what kind of project you would like to do is a plus but not mandatory.
For software engineering if you have no prior experience but you’re enthusiastic about the tech world, Techstart might still be the right program for you; however, it will require you to invest more time to learn on your own.
For interaction design, product management, and AI & data science we highly recommend you have at least a basic understanding of the necessary skills.
During the first semester of studying and completing a project at CODE, you will also apply for internships or junior positions and prepare for your next step of the Techstart journey: a six-month internship. This will take place during the second semester.
We are confident that – with our help and support – you will be able to find a paid internship* that allows you to apply your newly acquired skills in a professional environment. While you’re gaining new experiences, CODE will support you throughout your first months as an intern/junior.
At the end of the program, each Techstarter receives an official certificate from the CODE University of Applied Sciences that outlines the competencies that you learned.
*We will do everything in our power to help you find an internship, but we cannot guarantee that you will actually find one before the end of the program.
Program Summary and Details
Duration - How long/When does it start
July 2022 – June 2023
Fall semester: study at CODE
Spring semester: 6 months integrated internship
Classes you can take - your learning opportunities
Learn about software engineering, interaction design, AI & Data Science, or product management, depending on your interest and prior knowledge.
Objective - What we want to achieve
At the end of this program, you will be ready for an internship or entry-level position in tech in Berlin.
Tuition Fees - Techstart is free of charge
There are no tuition fees as the costs are covered by our funders. However, if you finish the program successfully and start working, we will ask you to make a voluntary income-based donation to support our program. Your donation will enable future participants to learn with us and to find a job in tech, just like you did. Don’t worry: If you don’t complete the program or have not found a job yet, we won’t expect you to donate anything.
Application Reqirements - What we need from you
- This program is designed and aimed to support people with a [forced] migration background, so if this is something you have experienced, this program is for you.
- As the program will be in English, you should be able to understand and communicate in English without problems.
- For software engineering if you have no prior experience but you’re enthusiastic about the tech world, Techstart might still be the right program for you; however, it will require you to invest more time to learn on your own.
- For interaction design, product management, and AI & data science we highly recommend you have at least a basic understanding of the necessary skills.
- You show genuine curiosity, high motivation, and an eagerness to learn
- You are able to dedicate at least 30 hours per week to study with us.
- You have a residency and work permit in Germany.
- You have a strong sense of discipline to study on your own and motivation to reach out for help when needed. The CODE learning style is unique and different from what you may know from your past study experiences. Take a look at the websiteof CODE University of Applied Sciences to have an idea of the learning concept that Techstart follows.
Important dates to remember!
- Applications are open from 15 March - 15 April 2022
- Interviews take place in the first two weeks of May (2nd-13th)
- We will notify those who get into the program by the end of May
Do you have any questions?
The Techstart team will happily answer any questions about the program – whether you’re interested in joining yourself, supporting the program, or something completely different. Reach out, we’re looking forward to hearing from you.
Send us an e-mail to email@example.com